
Catching some ZZZZZs

He has great hair for a baby Mohawk!
So our little guy finally arrived on the 28th. There is so much to tell about this little boy already. Because of many reasons and no progression, we opted for a repeat cesarean. I had a spinal and I totally recommend them compared to an epidural, they are great!

Emmett Bentley-James weighed in at 8lbs. 1oz. 20inch. We think he looks a ton like Anderson did when he was a newborn. Emmett was born full term but his lungs were under developed for some reason and when he took his first breathes they caused a Bilateral Pneumothorax, holes in his lungs. He was immediately put on oxygen and then sent to the NICU where he spent the next 5 days. After a CPAP, feeding tube, IV, steroids, x-rays and a ton of monitoring plus more things I can't remember, they finally released him to room with me in the mother baby unit. At this time I wasn't a patient but they let me room in with him as a trial run to see how he'd do when we were to go home. Every time Joe and I would go to visit him it seemed like they had more and more good news to share. He was a big hit in the Special Care Nursery. The nurses were sad to see him go because they thought he was so cute, he had a lot more to work with being the biggest baby in there at 8lbs.

Our first moment alone together on day 5.

Moving on up to just a feeding tube, IV & monitors!
Anderson and Emmett didn't get to meet until very late on day 4. I'm not sure exactly what Anderson thinks about his little brother but he hasn't been too fond of the changes that Mommy has gone through. He had a really hard time not being with me for the 5 days we were in the hospital. Plus, I can't hold him and I've been recovering and it's been tough for him to understand why I can't do a lot of the things I use to do with him. He's been having a lot of tantrums and screaming fits but I think he's adjusting more and more everyday. He's learned how to say the word 'two' since we've been home. I think he's getting ready to be the big boy of the house.
We've had a ton of help from Uncle Matt & Aunt Leah, Dawn, Tami, my mom and Aunt Cyndee. Having their help has been wonderful! It's been great for Anderson to have people around to take him out on adventures and give him tons of attention.
Emmett has been having a tough time keeping his food down. He's taking in air even while he isn't eating and he has to be burped constantly. He's been having his formula coming out of his nose and it's been scary since he breathes it back in. With how sensitive his lungs are we have to be extremely careful with him and who and what he is around because they are still healing. Any infection could send him back into the hospital. We took him in today to have an Upper GI series or a Barium Swallow procedure done at the hospital. We are waiting on the results to see what it is that we do next. We may try to get a referral to Children's Hospital in UT if the doctor's here can't figure out what is wrong. They've ruled out it being an opening in the roof of his mouth, so we'll see what will be determined. Other than that, he's a beautiful baby boy. He sleeps a ton, which is normal but compared to Anderson's spastic daily adventures, Emmett is the easiest baby we could ask for!
SIDE NOTE: I know the world is in a huge obsession with Twilight, but I want to go on the record that I did not name Emmett, Joe did. I picked out his middle name and Joe got the honors of choosing the first name. So, no, this is not my way of showing how obsessed I am, although I did have a dream about Edward today during a little cat nap. It was quite nice!
he's beautiful! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! He is cute. Hope everything is going well!
ReplyDeleteThis is the coolest site! I'd love to make one if I knew how... I am beside myself with joy! Seeing you with a family of your own is just amazing! Congrats sweetie! I can't believe we have gone so long w/o talking. Miss you, and even though there is a great distance between us we'll have to stay in touch!
ReplyDeleteLove you, and again, congrats!