Thursday, July 21, 2011

18 Week Ultrasound . . .


On Tuesday I had a baby doctor appointment and all looks good. The heartbeat was in the mid to high 140s. I'm measuring right on with my due date. I have officially gained 4 lbs. UGH!!!! But all is well. If you ask Anderson what the baby's heartbeat sounds like he'll tell you. Whoow whoow whoooow . . . that's the best that I can write it out as.  :) I have been having this crazy all-over itching this pregnancy. At first they said it might be allergies so they told me to take Benadryl and use Hydrocortisone cream and Eucerin cream. Then they thought okay it's probably an over production of progesterone (?), so they gave me this medicine to help ease the itching but it kinda works as a sedative so I don't ever use it really (since I'm the proud owner of an Anderson and Emmett). At my appointment this week, my doc was a little concerned that I was STILL itching. This itching isn't a scratch here or there, I just need to be tough, kinda thing. I'm going crazy. My skin feels like it's crawling! If I don't watch myself and I'm distracted watching t.v. I'll look down at my arm or leg and I'll be bleeding from itching too much. It's crazy weird. It gets worse at night but I try to rub my skin with a towel instead of scratching, maybe it helps. Anywho, he ordered a bile acid test (?) to see if I have Cholestasis. I'm not a doc so don't quote me but it has something to do with the liver and gallbladder not functioning properly and they get backed up. (?) Something like that. It happens in some pregnancies, close monitoring, early possible delivery, yada yada. My doc called me this morning to inform me that the results of my test came back normal. WHEW! He doesn't quite know why I'm itching so bad but I told him as long as the baby is fine, I'll deal. So, other than that, the appointment went great and all is well!

Today we had our ultrasound with Maternal Fetal Medicine. I had the envelopes all ready when we got there. We have planned to have a baby gender reveal party or a Pink and Blue party with friends and family this weekend to reveal the gender. We will take the sealed envelope to the bakery and they will make a cake with either pink or blue on the inside. So, when Joe and I cut the cake at the party we will find out if it's a boy (blue) or a girl (pink). EEEEK! The sealed envelope is in my living room, right this moment!!!!! I'm actually not as tempted as I thought I might be to peek. I had this idea for the last pregnancy but as we all know, things didn't work out. This party is exactly what we needed to get us excited about this pregnancy. It's not that we didn't try for this baby or that we don't want it, NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! We have just been guarding our emotions and attachments this time around.

Today was such a fun day for Joseph and I!! We dropped the kids off at my sisters (thank you, tons) and we headed to the ultrasound. The whole way we talked about what it might be. I could tell Joe was getting more and more excited as we drove closer to the doctor's office. He's fairly good at understanding ultrasounds and with Anderson and Emmett he knew right away that they were boys. Well, I had it all planned out and I gave Joe a serious talk a few times. ie. "Joe, I swear if you look, I'll hurt you. We're gonna go in there and not look at first then once they find the position of the baby we will look and then when they get to the lower region we WILL look away. NO PEEKING!!!" I repeated this to him multiple times and throughout the ultrasound too. :) He did great, he tried to pretend to peek but didn't. The nurse was laughing at how funny we were being about the whole thing.

My sister joked a few days before about the baby having it's legs crossed the whole time . . . haha, what a funny idea . . . That totally happened!! The ultrasound took about an hour. The first 45 minutes the baby was all over the place. Sucking it's thumb, opening and closing it's mouth, waving it's arms, doing a little dance, both arm up behind it's head, it even scratched it's bottom. BUT, it would NOT uncross it's legs! I started sweating! We have a party this weekend, what am I gonna do, have the cake be YELLOW on the inside? The nurse wasn't getting a good look at my cervix either so she told me to get up and go to the bathroom and come back and we'd try a different ultrasound. I went into the bathroom and had a good talk with the baby. I jumped up and down a ton and even asked Joe if he'd help me stand on my head, he wouldn't.  :( I offered to run a couple laps around the building to get the baby to move. We started the ultrasound up again and after a while sure enough, she got a good look at what she needed to see. She said she'd give it a 98%. She says she never gives it a 100% because things happen, but a definite 98%. She took the envelope into another room and wrote down what it is, sealed it up and brought it back. So, the countdown is on!

The baby's heartbeat was 153bpm and it weighs about 10 oz.

Joe and I have been kinda giddy! He keeps threatening that he's gonna peek while I'm sleeping. He says, "If I have a grin on my face tomorrow, you'll know I looked." Good one Joe, but I'll know, I always know! I might just hide it so he won't be tempted! It's so fun to see Joe excited about this baby. He's been pretty somber when it comes to talking about anything baby lately so this "surprise" has been a huge success!

On a side note: When the nurse returned to do the second part of the ultrasound she was looking for my cervix and something about my placenta. Well, the doc came in and talked to us about how my placenta is not in the most ideal place. They kept asking me if I had had any bleeding so far, and if I was sure. I haven't. They said I have Placenta Previa. They want to check it again in a month and do another ultrasound to do measurements of the baby. Placenta Previa can cause bleeding and I read that with a history of previous cesareans and a D&C that there's an increased risk for Placenta Accreta, Increta, or Precreta and I need to go to the hospital if anything happens. I've been trying to read up on what I can find on the topic. I asked Joe and my dad to give me a Priesthood blessing tonight. We have faith that things will be okay. There's no such thing as a normal pregnancy for us, so we are rolling with it. For now we are enjoying the excitement of our big gender reveal!

I'll post pictures of the ultrasound after we know what it is. I don't want to look at the pictures on the CD just in case there's a picture of "the parts".

No comments:

Post a Comment