I get irritated when mothers who breast feed make a huge deal about the topic. Whether they claim they are treated unfairly or are preaching to others of the benefits. Seriously? Have they thought about how the mother who isn't able to nurse her child feels when these things are said. How often do we think of the other person? As a mother who has been unable to fully breastfeed all 3 of my children, it's painful. For me, it's an important thing I want to do, but life tends to throw obstacles in our way when we least want it to. I have such a hard time talking to other women about the topic because of the judgmental comments or the hurtful remarks. Did I try everything? Was I dedicated enough? Was I doing it right? Honestly, that's none of anyone's business and it's hurtful. It's a sensitive topic and it should be discussed in a delicate manner. Also, I shouldn't complain to others about how I was only able to nurse/pump/whatever for a short amount of time, when some women may have never been able to or had the desire to attempt it, for whatever reason. There is no right or wrong and we shouldn't make it that way.
Having a child can and is a stressful time in anyone's life. The last thing one needs is to be judged or to have an overwhelming amount of pressure put on them, when so many other things should be their main priority.
I appreciate your last two posts. I definitely have moments where I feel like I need to defend my choice to bottle feed, or some of my other parenting choices, and it really shouldn't be that way. While some people are simply judgemental, I think that the majority of people are just so excited about what worked for them with their kids that they want everyone else to try it too. I've noticed this with potty training methods lately. If I've learned anything being a parent it's that you just have to do what works best for you and your family and let other people do the same. And you could always make some onesies/t-shirts for your kids that say "My mom doesn't want your advice!" :)
ReplyDelete